Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Shoot Out~Cemeteries and Graves

Reggie Girl invited me to the Friday Shoot out. This week is cemeteries and graves. She gave me absolutely no plenty of time to prepare and being the good sport and photographer that I am, I decided to give it a shot join in the fun. ( I should shoot her) Please note, yesterday it drizzled rain and was cloudy all day! Perfect picture taking weather. So on my way home I stopped by my church to check out our their cemetery. It was raining cats and dogs so I rolled on home. I'll get a few shots pictures on the way into work Friday morning...no problem. This morning was raining and foggy, more perfect weather! But with my trusty cell phone I captured these haunting shots!


Our church was built in 1842.


There are a few Confederate soldiers buried here.


This walkway goes through the cemetery.

This marker is for an infant daughter. See the lamb on top?
Oct. 6, 1932 - Oct 10, 1932 ~The last line reads, Asleep in Jesus.
A reminder to me that the good Shepherd cares for his lambs.

18 comments:

Predo said...

The photo's look like the old 70's horror movies!

Having said that, the rain and mist aside, it truly does look peaceful!

Unknown said...

Well you certainly had the right atmosphere for capturing grave yard photos...looks cold too!

I like looking at the really "OLD" grave markers! You can "almost" feel the History there!

Mental P Mama said...

We have a beautiful cemetery at my church, too. I love it, but infants' graves are always sad.

Family Room said...

the photos really do look vintage, awesome shots!! Creepy but awesome!!

Unknown said...

Very haunting and eery. I would love to visit a place such as this.

J9 said...

I think the weather and the cell phone captured the eirieness of the setting perfectly! Welcome!

Thinkinfyou said...

I don't like cemeteries at all.After watching the Thriller video as a kid,they scare me to death...no pun intended.

Unknown said...

I love the older cemeteries in New England. My uncle used to introduce me to his friends as his niece from CA who likes to hang out in cemeteries.

Have fun with your perfect glass this weekend!

Dr.John said...

Just right for cemetery pictures.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Hey..........where are the cat's and dogs??? You said, and I quote "It was raining cats and dogs" and that's the only reason I dropped by. This is false advertising Noe Noe Girl!!
Seriously, I love your shots and I'm so glad that you joined the group. As soon as we know for sure what next weeks subject matter is we'll be sure to post it.
Mark over at The Butler and Bagman Chronicals has sugggested wild animals. Reggie Girl sez, she ain't shooting no wild animals. Maybe a horse, or a cow. But I wouldn't care to encounter any kind of lions, tiger and bears, oh my (OH MY GAWD is more like it, lol!!).
I love your blog and your sweet comments are a ray of sunshine dear lady.
Hope your weekend is filled with love, joy and laughter and......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

I Am Woody said...

Since genealogy is one of my things, I love cemeteries. The older, the better!

1842? Seriously? How cool is that!

abb said...

Wanna do www.findagrave.com??? We always need new volunteers! I'm just sayin'!

Denise W said...

Unfortunately there are a lots of infants' graves in our cemetery from back then....it gives a little perspective (especially to me) on how hard life was back then. I looked at this little stone when we were selecting Justin's...but they don't make ones like that anymore, at least where we went.

HalfAsstic.com said...

I dearly LOVE walking through old, old cemeteries. It is so interesting. And my heart always aches a little for the parents of the babies buried there.

mom x 2 said...

Well you had the perfect weather for pictures like this, that's for sure. Looks eery :O

Big Hair Envy said...

Wow. Even our cemetery is beautiful.....

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Hey Noe Noe Girl........I think the easiest way to link into the other "shoot-outer's" right now would be to look at my comments and click on the ones that said they are participating.
We started as 2 people and now we have people from all over the U.S., Brasil, China, Germany and Japan participating!!! Isn't that wonderful??
So many people joined in that there is just no way for us to post all of the links. With folks being in different time zones, it is sometimes a day earlier that they post than here because it's already Friday over there you know?
I will try my best to add a few links next Friday but don't hold me to it......
In the meantime, try clicking onto a few of mine. You'll love it!!
I'm still so excited that you joined girl!!

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorite pictures were taken at Bonaventure Cemetary in Savannah, GA. Its one of the most beautiful spots on the earth...not at all creepy.