Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sweet Aberdeen

My neighbors, The Marine and his lovely bride, The Queen.

They live down the road a piece at a place called Aberdeen. Let me show you a few pictures of their wonderful place. And share a little history.

There is a long welcoming driveway.

And the sight of this beautiful old house. It has "Welcome Friends" all over it!

The home can be traced back to 1859 when it was owned and operated by Col. James C. Councill and was established as "Aberdeen Academy" as a boys school.

Col. Councill closed the school during the war years, 1860-64, and took up a position as Commanding Officer, Company I of the Jackson Grays 26th Virginia Infantry. The Academy was reopened after the war.

The Marine's grandfather purchased the property from the Councill Estate and it has been in his family since.

The foundation bricks around the home contain the initials of all the students and the dates they attended the Academy. There still exists one of the slave houses on the property and a meat house, where they hung the hams to cure.

Many of the boys attained prestigious positions after leaving the academy.

Here is "The Parlor" if you will. Does this just say "Gone with the Wind" or what?


This portrait of "Adrian Barboobs" hangs in the dining room. No one knows who she really was..but it seems grandfather took a liking to the portrait and brought it home one day. Rumor has it grandmother was not fond of it one bit, so it hung behind a door for years. But it has managed to stay in the house. She is quiet stunning don't you think?


No old home place is complete without the traces of the "recipe"

Southern by the Grace of God.

Let's move on upstairs and nose around.

The Queen always has everything in perfect order. Here is one of the bedrooms.

It is adjoined by this child's room. This is Elizabeth's old room. You can't see her but every now and then she will let you know of her presence.

And of course the place is heavily guarded.

I always feel welcomed and right at home here. I have been blessed with good neighbors and good friends. Aberdeen is truly a wonderful place. But if you are "Lucky" you get to live here!

21 comments:

Nessa said...

I love old houses. This is a beautiful one. That woman in the portrait is gorgeous.

aurbie said...

Beautiful house and property. I love the trim the queen used in the house. Tell that Marine that my Marine says that is a mighty fine guard he has there.

That dog looks like he has a pretty good life.

Have a great Sunday. We have rain here.

Daryl said...

The woman in the portrait reminds me of Drew Barrymore .. its Elizabeth a ghost? Whose boot is that? And what a wonderful sampler. Husband is a Virginian, he was born in Roanoke....

Mental P Mama said...

just wonderful! What a treat to go visit...and Adrian Barboobs is s looker!

~JarieLyn~ said...

What a great history. I love this story. The grounds are magnificent and the house is a real treasure. It's very pretty.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

What a gorgeous house and it's wonderful that they know the history.

The Baldwin Sisters must live close by seeing as they have some of the recipe and all.

Anonymous said...

Love Aberdeen....I've only been there a couple of times, but it's so beautiful...I haven't met "Elizabeth", did The Marine tell you about her?
AAANNNDNDDD...gotta have a copy of that sampler!!

HalfAsstic.com said...

Oh, my, that is just beautiful! I dearly love seeing places like that and hearing about all the history that took place there. It really is beautiful. It reminds me of my aunts house in Chico, in a way. I guess it's those high ceilings!
Beautiful! Thanks Noe Noe Girl!

Caution/Lisa said...

Thank-you for taking me on your visit! What a wonderful house. Now, do tell more about Elizabeth :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful walk through history. And you are right, to live there must be glorious!

j said...

Thank you so much for the tour! That is an amazing home. Love the hint about Elizabeth's presence :)

Have a great week!

TrailerPark said...

That place is absolutely beautiful! And, I agree that the woman in the portrait is stunning.

I sure could use some neighbors like them!

Dr.John said...

You are lucky to have neighbors who invite you in to see such a treasure.

Meg McCormick said...

I grew up in an old brick Georgian farm house and love historic homes. Thanks for sharing this one!

Thrifty Cents said...

Wow, I love this house! And thanks for letting me know about the lil' blip with my blog...I think it's straight now!

TJ said...

Wow that is amazing. We just don't have history like that up here in WA.

RedLan said...

gREAT pOST! Opps capslock sorry. Thanks for sharing the photos and the history of the house. I love it!

Donna Reed In Blue Jeans said...

Wow! That is so cool! I love that the house has stayed in the family. :)

Anonymous said...

That house is just out of this world fantastic. I love it. LOVE it! LOVE it. Thank you for the fun tour!

Christina said...

That house is beautiful. I love old houses and this one is amazing. Cute little porch in the front and really cool chimney in back. It's an amazing piece of history too. Pretty cool that is was an academy for boys and that the foundation includes the initials of all the students with their dates of attendance.

Anonymous said...

noenoegirl.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading noenoegirl.blogspot.com every day.